February 19, 2018

How White Males Are Discriminated Against In Banking And Finance

by Steve McGuire


"The Case for Diversity and Inclusion at TD. Beyond the War for Talent"


I live in Toronto and work in banking. I have been out of work for the last year. Over the last six or seven years, I have had only short-term contracts of under 4 months. I have been unemployed longer than I have been employed over those years.

For those who might think that I need to get more qualifications, I will say that I already have the following credentials: a CFA, FRM, MBA. Still, I am able to get only $20/hr entry level contract jobs, which have nothing to do with my credentials. Might there be something else underlying my career failures?

I really have to question Trudeau's obsession with Canada's employment equity "problem" and the quest to create "diversity" at the expense of White employees like myself. And I really have to ask, is there discrimination against Euro-Canadians? From the employment equity reports I have seen, it seems Banking/Finance companies have done extremely well in addressing any under-representation of minorities in employment. In fact, visible minorities are overrepresented. Unfortunately, in these reports, you will not see a single number about White or male representation or availability. So you cannot tell from the reports if the success in minority employment comes at the expense of lower employment of Whites.

No comments: